(February 3, 2021) – Building on the new year momentum, the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll® Virtual Running Club™ (VRC™) picks up the pace throughout the month of February as participants hit shuffle by mixing up the distances each week so runners and walkers alike can stay in the groove. Starting with Rock ‘n’ Roll VR5 on February 5–7, participants will be able to take part in 5-mile, 5k, 6-mile and 4-mile virtual races during the month. In addition to the featured distances, each weekend will offer a Bonus Track, consisting of a longer distance for those looking for more miles. Participants wanting to do both distances offered in the same weekend can sign up for the Remix Challenge. Registration for February 2021 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC events are currently open and available for FREE to the entire global community at runrocknrollvr.com
- Rock ‘n’ Roll VR5 5 Miles – February 5-7
- Bose Rock ‘n’ Roll VR6 5K - February 12-14
- Rock ‘n’ Roll VR7 6 Miles – February 19-21
- Rock ‘n’ Roll VR8 4 Miles – February 26-28
For those who wish to take on the first Rock ‘n’ Roll VR races of the year that were offered in January, can do so by visiting, runrocknrollvr.com/challenges
What Else is Happening in February?
The Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club will continue with its monthly themes, challenges, as well as a new Record Year monthly check-in to help runners stay driven, active and achieve a goal together throughout 2021. Here is what else is happening this month:
Featured Rock ‘n’ Rollers
Darryl Jane Edwards, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- February Record Year Challenge: As the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC runs into February, participants are encouraged to continue contributing toward making it a Record Year. The community-based challenge allows participants to contribute mileage towards a tracking log each month, inspiring individuals to see how far they've gone over the entire year of 2021. Each run or walk, no matter how far will count towards participants yearly totals and the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC community’s total. A series of fun, inspiring, and motivating monthly community challenges will help participants stay motivated towards setting a record year. Participants will receive a digital badge upon the close of the challenge window on the final day of each month. Through the first 31 days, over 257,000 miles have cumulated. Learn more about the Record Year challenge by visiting here.
- Don’t Stop Me Now challenges: Participants can take part in themed novelty challenges throughout the year. This February, Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC is offering the Don’t Stop Me Now 28 and Don’t Stop Me Now 56 month-long challenges. With many runners and walkers setting goals in the first month of the year, the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club is encouraging participants to continue moving forward towards those personal finish lines with a 28-mile and 56-mile month-long challenge. Learn more about the Don’t Stop Me Now challenge by visiting here.
- Weekly Workouts: Every week we will feature a workout designed to help participants focus on specific parts of training. These workouts can be completed by all skill levels and will feature adjustments to help customize, based on participant goals for the run. Find out what weekly workout is in store this week here.
Canadian runner Darryl Jane Edwards has the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club to thank for putting the ultramarathon bug in her ear. The 56-year-old Zimbabwe born and bred runner says she did more running in 2020 because of the Virtual Club than she would’ve normally. “With the platform you’ve got (virtual) races at your fingertips. Being able to do 21K runs every weekend was just wonderful,” she reflects, adding that it did great things for her physical and mental well-being. Edwards, who works in IT for Scotiabank, ran a half marathon every weekend from September through November, something she says she never would have done in a normal road racing year. “I loved it because I could do any route I wanted and tell my husband to fetch me when I was finished. I could run anywhere and see anything—it was fantastic,” she adds. With two weeks off in December, Edwards logged over 50 Challenges on the Virtual Club, often running twice a day. Read on for some of Edward’s best experiences and learn how she tackled 2020 in The Beat
Woody Pang, Seattle Washington
Twenty-five years ago, a seemingly insignificant errand turned Woody Pang from a walker into a runner. A few weeks prior, Pang had attended a walk/run event with his daughter. While he completed the 4K walk, his daughter Cynthia ran the 8K. “I watched from the finish line and said to myself, ‘I don’t ever want to do that, jogging through the crowds in underwear and being all sweaty and everybody watching,’” he recalls. A few weeks after that event, Pang accidentally became a runner. One day, he needed to get to the post office five blocks away before they closed the doors at 5pm. So, he ran. “That told me, ‘hey, maybe I can run.’” Shortly after that, he started registering for 5K events, and loved it. Pang went on to earn an impressive resume with the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series. He’s completed every edition of the Seattle Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon, earning him legacy runner status at both the five- and ten-year marks. When it came down to having to miss the 2020 edition, he dove into the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club. In fact, the 83-year-old logged an impressive 1,876 km (1,165 miles) on the platform in 2020 and has already surpassed 50 miles so far in 2021. Read more about Woody’s impressive accomplishment in The Beat
To register for a Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club Challenge, runners or walkers only need to sign up through the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC platform and connect to their tracker app. Runners can then complete their registration by going to the “Events” tab and clicking “Register Now” for free on the virtual race page. For additional information on how to register, visit Getting Started Guide
Full details and specifics regarding the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club and Challenges are available on www.runrocknrollvr.com
. For more information on the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, please visit the website at www.runrocknroll.com
. Media related inquiries may be directed to email@example.com
About Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club
The Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll® Virtual Running Club™ (VRC™) is a web-based platform allowing runners from around the world to engage, connect, earn rewards, and compete in Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ (VR™) Series events with a distance for everyone. Since its launch in April of 2020, the Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC continues to see thousands of runners and walkers engage on the platform and find their virtual start line each week, bringing the global running community together. Additional details about the Rock ‘n’ Roll VRC platform can be found at www.runrocknrollvr.com
About Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® is the world’s largest running series taking part in over 30 destination events around the world every year. Established in 1998, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series’s simple idea of making running fun has transformed both the U.S. and global running landscape by infusing the course with live bands, cheer teams and entertaining water stations, creating a block-party atmosphere for participants and spectators alike. Focused on running, music and community, race weekend kicks off with a free Health & Fitness Expo showcasing the latest in running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and much more. Events culminate with an entertaining finish-line festival featuring some of the biggest names in music, with past performances including Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, O.A.R. Aloe Blacc, Pitbull, Flo Rida, The Band Perry, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Goo Goo Dolls and Bret Michaels. Further information about the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series can be found online at www.RunRocknRoll.com
and follow @RunRocknRoll on all social platforms.
About The IRONMAN Group
The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® Virtual Racing™ (VR™) Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ Series, IRONKIDS®, ITU World Triathlon Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon™ and The Sun-Herald City2Surf®, Ultra-Trail® World Tour events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with hundreds of events across 55+ countries. The IRONMAN Group is owned by Advance (www.advance.com
), a private, family-owned business. For more information, visit www.ironman.com