|- Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Series Featured Rock ‘n’ Roller Briana Sharp of Los Angeles, California tours LA via Rock ‘n’ Roll Instagram on Friday, Sept. 11
- More than 11,000 participants from 85 nations help kick-off the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip with first tour stop in Virginia Beach, Va. over Labor Day
(September 9, 2020) –
After a fun fueled virtual weekend in Virginia Beach that saw 11,000 participants celebrate 20 Years of Running in one of America’s favorite beach towns, the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip
Tour Bus has rolled into to Los Angeles, California for the second stop of the 15-race virtual running tour across the United States. Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Los Angeles
will offer Rock ‘n’ Rollers the opportunity to virtually run the star-studded boulevards of the City of Angels for the first time since the event was retired in 2018. Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Los Angeles will be open and available to the entire global community from September 11-13, consisting of a 10K, 5K, and Remix challenge. All virtual races during the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip will begin weekly on Fridays at 5 a.m. ET and close Sundays at 11:59 p.m. ET with participants being able to compete in the virtual tour stop anywhere, indoors or outdoors, as long as the distance of their choosing is completed in one session.
This weekend’s stop in Los Angeles offers a break in the long-distance mileage of the Rock ‘n’ Roll® Virtual Running™ (VR™) Series
, with its friendly 5K and 10K options. Los Angeles is often billed as the "Creative Capital of the World,” with one of every six residents employed in the creative industry. There are more artists, writers, filmmakers, actors, dancers, and of course, our favorite, musicians living and working in Los Angeles than any other city at any other time in history. The Hollywood neighborhood is the center of the movie industry, and LA is home to many major film studios and record labels.
Featured Rock ‘N’ Roller - Briana Sharp – Los Angeles California
Over the weekend, avid runner and Rock ‘n’ Roll Ambassador Briana Sharp, will be taking over the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series Instagram Story on Friday. This Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Famer and yogi shares a passion for fitness and a healthy lifestyle and is always looking to inspire others to find their own fitness. Sharp, a native Los Angeleno, will be running from Santa Monica to Venice Beach, giving the Rock ‘n’ Roll community a one-of-a-kind tour of some of LA’s most iconic landmarks by foot. Sharp will provide runners a first-hand view of the Third Street Promenade in Downtown Santa Monica, hit the end of the world-famous Route 66 at the Santa Monica Pier, run along the iconic bike path traversing the beaches, pass down Ocean Ave, before finishing her run with California favorite In ‘n’ Out. Rock ‘n’ Rollers can experience LA and follow Briana’s footsteps on Friday at www.instagram.com/runrocknroll/
LA Inspired Running/Walking Plans
Participants are encouraged to be LA inspired in their virtual activities and share photos and videos on social media by tagging #RnRVRLosAngeles
. Don’t live in-or-around LA, no problem. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Road Trip has some tips on how runners and walkers can experience la-la-land in their own communities:
Fun Run Prep for the Rock ‘n Roller in the House
- Walk (or Run) Among the Stars - Inspired by the Hollywood Walk of Fame, give yourself somewhere to celebrate by drawing a star in chalk on the sidewalk where you’re starting your run and write your name inside the star when you finish!
- Art to Heart - Griffith Park in LA is one of the largest urban parks in the US with incredible street art and murals. Run through your downtown’s artsiest neighborhood or your favorite park to pay virtual homage to Griffith.
- Beaches, Boardwalks and Palm Trees - Venice Beach is hard to beat, but with some imagination you might be able to conjure up a palm tree or two as you complete your virtual LA race as close to the water as you can for that true So-Cal vibe.
- Halloween Trial Run – Rock ‘n’ Roll Los Angeles was historically a Halloween race, so give this year’s costume a literal trial run by dressing up for your run.
- Popcorn and a Movie - Get ready for the big run or walk by taking it easy the night before. Make some popcorn and take in one of 57 films that Timeout.com dubs the films that best capture the city of LA: Chinatown, La La Land, The Long Goodbye, Blade Runner, The Big Lebowski, LA Confidential, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Speed, Punch-Drunk Love.
- Animal or Cali Style - Recreate Southern California’s flagship fast food, In-N-Out Burger, by whipping up an animal style post-run family BBQ after your run. Or, go as authentic as you can get by stopping in at your favorite local chain’s drive-through. Burgers not your thing? Pay homage to one of the epicenters of Mexican food by making or picking up your favorite tacos or burritos.
- Your Own Personal Concert – Ever wanted to take in a show at The Hollywood Bowl, Greek Theater or Los Angeles Music Center, build out your favorite tunes for a playlist that takes you there and makes your body move. Need some music inspiration, check out this weeks featured Apple Music Playlist – Glam Essentials
- A Jaunt Through LA – In LA or planning a future visit? Here are 10 things to do and see when you make your way to SoCal.
- Take a run down Venice Beach
- Snap a pic of the Hollywood sign - go ahead, everyone does it
- Jog along Mulholland Drive at dusk for a spectacular view of the city
- Check out the Hollywood Walk of Fame & Grauman’s Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Blvd
- Take a selfie on Santa Monica Pier
- For a tried and true LA taco, head to one of Leo’s Taco Trucks
- Get your friends and go on a food walking tour at the LA Farmers market
- Visit the Arts District and check out the large collection of street art and murals
- Visit Griffith Park, one of the largest urban parks in the US
- Grab a post run burger at In-N-Oout Burger
To register for Rock ‘n’ Road Trip event, runners or walkers only need to sign up through the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club platform and connect to their tracker app. Runners can then complete their registration by going to the “Events” tab and clicking “Register Now” for free on the virtual race page. For additional information on how to register, visit Getting Started Guide
Through the Rock ‘n’ Road Trip, participants will be able to earn exclusive digital event badges for every race and distance they complete; download race bib to personalize the experience; reward themselves for their efforts with cool destination themed finisher medals and T-Shirts; and earn points redeemable for sweet swag and more at www.runrocknrollstore.com/rock-n-roll-vr
. Finishers who complete the Remix Challenge also earn access to additional medals.
Looking Back to Rock ‘N’ Roll VR Virginia Beach – By the Numbers
- Kicking off the tour, more than 11,000 people from 85 nations and 48 states stepped up their virtual start line for the first stop on the Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Series’ Rock ‘n’ Road Trip in Virginia Beach, Va. taking place over the Labor Day Weekend.
- Participants who undertook the Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Virginia Beach had the opportunity to challenge themselves with a Half Marathon, 5K, 1-mile run or Remix Challenge offering participants the opportunity to celebrate 20 years of running America’s favorite beach town in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon which could not take place in 2020.
- Participants for Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Virginia Beach came from around the world and ranged in age from 19 to 82.
- The United States led the way with over 8,000 walkers and runners followed by United Kingdom (over 450), Canada (over 400), Mexico (over 350), and Portugal (over 100).
- Other nations represented included Australia, Bangladesh, China, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Israel, Estonia, Peru, Singapore, Taiwan and Venezuela, among others.
- Of the 48 U.S. states represented this past weekend, the greatest number came from Virginia, followed by California, Texas, Florida, Arizona and Pennsylvania.
Giving Back While Rock’n This Town
Rock This Town®, the charitable arm of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, is supporting the Rock ‘n’ Roll VR Club State 48 Challenge. For every State 48 runner, Rock This Town will donate $1 to the Tommy Rivers Puzey recovery fund as he battles a rare form of cancer. Tommy is a beloved endurance athlete based in Arizona, the 2017 Rock ‘n’ Roll Arizona marathon champion, two-time defending Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon men’s champion and an accomplished IRONMAN athlete. Through Rock This Town’s IRONAID COVID-19 Support Fund grants, Operation IRONAID Nutrition, and Operation IRONAID Face Masks in partnership with Framebridge and supported by Good360 over 190 organizations globally have been supported since March. Applications for the fourth round of IRONAID COVID-19 Support Fund grants are now open. For more information about IRONAID visit ironmanfoundation.org/ironaid
Full details and specifics regarding the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Series, Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running Club and Challenges are available on www.runrocknrollvr.com
. For more information on the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, please visit the website at www.runrocknroll.com
. Media related inquiries may be directed to email@example.com
About Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series® is the world’s largest running series taking part in over 30 destination events around the world every year. Established in 1998, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series simple idea of making running fun has transformed both the U.S. and global running landscape by infusing the course with live bands, cheer teams and entertaining water stations, creating a block-party atmosphere for participants and spectators alike. Focused on running, music and community, race weekend kicks off with a free Health & Fitness Expo showcasing the latest in running gear, sports apparel, health and nutritional information and much more. Events culminate with an entertaining finish-line festival featuring some of the biggest names in music, with past performances including Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, O.A.R. Aloe Blacc, Pitbull, Flo Rida, The Band Perry, Fitz and the Tantrums, the Goo Goo Dolls and Bret Michaels. Further information about the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series can be found online at www.RunRocknRoll.com
and follow @RunRocknRoll on all social platforms.
About The IRONMAN Group
The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® Virtual Racing™ (VR™) Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Virtual Running™ Series, IRONKIDS®, ITU World Triathlon Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon™ and The Sun-Herald City2Surf® presented by Westpac, Ultra-Trail® World Tour events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with hundreds of events across 55+ countries. The IRONMAN Group is owned by Advance (www.advance.com
), a private, family-owned business. For more information, visit www.ironman.com